More

    Cabinet Approves Flood Management and Border Areas Programme 

    EnvironmentClimate changeCabinet Approves Flood Management and Border Areas Programme 
    - Advertisment -

    Cabinet Approves Flood Management and Border Areas Programme 

    This is particularly relevant as the increased incidence of extreme events have been witnessed during last few years in view of likely impact of climate change and situation may further aggravate in times to come.

    The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved the proposal of Department of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation for continuation of centrally sponsored Scheme, viz., “Flood Management and Border Areas Programme (FMBAP)” with total outlay of Rs. 4,100 crore for a period of 5 years from 2021-22 to 2025-26 (15th Finance Commission period).

    Under the Flood Management Programme (FMP) component of FMBAP with an outlay of Rs. 2940 crore, central assistance will be provided to State Governments for taking up critical works related to flood control, anti-erosion, drainage development and anti-sea erosion, etc.

    The eight North-Easter States and Hilly States of Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and the union territory of Jammu & Kashmir will get 90 per cent of the funding under the scheme from the centre. Elsewhere, the central funds will be to the tune of 60 per cent, with the states footing the remaining 40 per cent from their own coffers.

    - Advertisement -

    Under River Management and Border Areas (RMBA) component of FMBAP with an outlay of Rs. 1160 crore, flood control and anti-erosion works on common border rivers with neighbouring countries including hydrological observations and flood forecasting, and investigation and pre-construction activities of joint water resources projects (with neighbouring countries) on common border rivers will be taken up with 100 per cent central assistance.

    The works implemented under RMBA component also protect important installations of security agencies, border out-posts, etc.  along the border rivers from flood and erosion. The scheme will incentivise states implementing flood plain zoning, recognized as an effective non-structural measure for flood management.

    Although, primary responsibility of flood management rests with the State Governments, the Union Government has decided that it is desirable to supplement the efforts of the State Governments in flood management, encouraging promotion and adoption of modern technology and innovative materials/approach. This is particularly relevant as the increased incidence of extreme events have been witnessed during last few years in view of likely impact of climate change and situation may further aggravate in times to come exacerbating problem of floods in terms of extent, intensity and frequency. 

    Image: Wikimedia Commons

    - Advertisement -

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Latest news

    Floods Batter Pakistan; Over 50 Dead

    Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority is planning for the distribution of relief, but the logistics of reaching relief is...

    China to Import Buffalo Embryos from Pakistan

    The import of buffalo embryos by China can significantly shorten the cycle of improving dairy buffalo breeds from 12...

    Above Normal Rainfall During Southwest Monsoon Season Likely: Ministry of Earth Sciences

    The forecast is based on both dynamical and statistical models, and it suggests above normal rainfall is likely over...

    In Bangladesh, Nipah Virus Keeps the Health System on its Toes

    There’s no cure and no vaccine for the Nipah Virus – and so far this year, both confirmed cases...
    - Advertisement -

    Debt Swaps Could Release $100 Billion for Climate Action

    If a country and its creditors agree to a swap, a portion of that nation’s debt can be written...

    Sri Lanka: Unlawful Use of Weapons in Policing of Protests, Says Amnesty

    During 2022 and 2023, Sri Lankans called for accountability for the prolonged economic crisis, corruption and human rights violations,...

    Must read

    Floods Batter Pakistan; Over 50 Dead

    Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority is planning for the...

    China to Import Buffalo Embryos from Pakistan

    The import of buffalo embryos by China can significantly...
    - Advertisement -

    More from the sectionRELATED
    Recommended to you